Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Education of... Me

So, here is the part where I get to reflect, analyze, and ponder about the past and potential future of where the JMC major has led me. This class in particular (JMC410) has been my favorite Dr. Klyde class as it allowed us to really have free rein over our stories and the way that we complete them. It was really a fun class because we were trusted to complete our work on time, meet our deadlines, and find our stories without being pressured by daily due dates and constant over-the-shoulder AP style checks by the professor.

My time in the JMC major has really been good. Honestly, it was easier than I thought and I hope that my career allows me to always stay creative. I really didn't like the newswriting all that much (inverted pyramid, etc.) but I liked the newsediting and layout class a lot. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Media Ethics class taught by Dr. Peck. I think that everyone in the major should make it a point to educate themselves by taking that one. I have loved the small classes and interaction with the other students - it seems that we are all in this major together and everyone is really good about helping each other out with confusion and corrections.

For anyone considering UNC as the place to launch your journalism major, it has been a good experience for me. Like I said, it was easier than I thought, and sometimes you wonder why you cover the same things over and over (and over!) but overall,I feel my education has been well rounded in the News and Editorial emphasis.

1 comment: